Monday, July 25, 2011

Festive!

In the interest of getting out of the hotel room this weekend, John and I ventured out.  We took the bus to Grafenwoehr (from here on out, known as "Graf"), in search of their much larger PX and Commissary on Saturday.  We were looking for different brands of cat food (exciting, aren't we?) as well as planning for the things we will need in the new house such as microwave, curtains, rugs and shelving.

We ended up buying tons of stuff for the cat.  He's the most spoiled cat in existence, I believe.

Sunday, we went to our very first Fest!  It was the Vilseck Volksfest!  We FINALLY got ourselves some genuine German food in the way of Sauerbraten, Knoedel, and Schnitzel.  It was so tasty.  With the Schnitzel, I had the option of mustard, curry ketchup, or mayo...which tasted more like tartar sauce.  It kind of made me think I was having fish and chips at some point.  The curry ketchup I actually liked quite a bit.  It's not as sweet as regular ketchup.  Or maybe it is, but the different seasonings make it seem less sweet.

We then consumed a humungous mug of beer.  Each.

We were then buzzed for a good portion of the day.

And consumed a ton of mini-donuts afterward.  I didn't expect the "Klein portion"  (the small portion) to be as large as it was.  I think at the Taste of Colorado, a large portion is about 5 donuts.  I think he gave me 25.  For the small portion.

They were delicious.  John may have even tasted one or two.
Otherwise, fests are pretty much like fairs with rides and a midway and silly prizes, and music.

They are also great places to people watch.

The rest of the day was spent studying for the USAREUR driving test.  This test is notorious for having a relatively high failure rate.  If you study, you do well.  If you blow it off, you fail it.

John and I both passed this morning with flying colors.  Tracking our vehicle revealed no further info on where it was other than we know it is in the country now.  We also need insurance cards to register the car.

Just when I thought we were making progress on our to-do list...a thousand more things jump on the list.

Soon we will be settled.

Soon I will post pictures.

Soon, we will be taking reservations.  Just let us explore a bit ourselves so we know where to take you.

1 comment:

  1. Taking reservations - hehe :)

    congrats on the driving test!!!

    ReplyDelete