Thursday, October 21, 2010

Oh the drama

So.  On every post, and usually within every unit, there is an FRG.

Family Readiness Group.

FRG's are good things in theory.  They support the family during deployments, although, more and more often are becoming more active in everyday life.  To provide community and support and well-being to all.

With community comes drama.  Not everyone will get along, and no one expects everyone to get along.
And then you just have annoying people.  Unfortunately, the military does not discriminate against the annoying as it would be hard to determine based on individual biases.

But what is annoying to me is an unorganized group attempting to host events.  Such as our very own FRG.  We had extra planning meetings.  We had maps.  We lacked communication, shopping lists, orientation to detail, and overall competence.

In my opinion.

I had to giggle at myself this morning because I found this email in my inbox.  From me to John.

"Do we have any rings with which to toss, like for a ring toss?"


That is literally all I wrote to him on my blackberry.  My game station was a pumpkin ring toss.  And no one thought to purchase or acquire rings.  Or task me to do it.  I checked the PX (Post Exchange = store on post.  ours is tiny) for toy rings, or even rope so we could "lasso" the pumpkins.  Nada.  It was 5 minutes 'til starting time.


John ran home and made rings by cutting out the centers of three paper plates glued together.  They still didn't work well, and the kids got bored when they learned they really couldn't win and walked away.  


LAME.


There was MUCH more drama involved but this really isn't the place to gossip.  I generally like the ladies (and gentleman) I worked with, I just did not enjoy working with all of them.


When I discuss these issues with more "seasoned" army wives, they almost all agree.  All FRGs are like this at every post.  I was never involved in John's FRG (when he was in command) because I was in Denver.  He never even told me about the meetings because (I learn now) that he wanted to shield me from it.  Not the FRG perse, but all the accompanying drama.


I'll probably still go to meetings (when I can) but I'm afraid I won't be able to participate any further in this one.

5 comments:

  1. LOL why is it that most groups of women are filled with drama?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, I dunno!! I blame it on hormones. I blame everything on hormones.

    FRGs are generally good things! But I don't play drama well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, the FRG...LOL. We have the anti-frg. LOL. It's all the same on every single post don't fear my dear. Kudos to you. It's always a mess and always drama and no one gets along. EVER. No matter where. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish we had an anti-FRG. :) I can almost handle the drama and not getting along yada yada yada if it weren't for the total disorganization. And b/c most of the drama was coming from the leadership.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've got me for your anti-frg. Just wait till I tell you my most recent horror stories. Ah...deployment.

    ReplyDelete