Saturday, October 23, 2010

Wedding stuff

Yes.  More wedding stuff.  Tidbits just come back to me at odd times during random days.

Joel - my big brother - was very sweet in his big brother way during wedding weekend.  But we'll start his story earlier in the year when he came up for Grandma's 90th birthday party while we were looking at old childhood photos when we were growing up.  Some from way before I was born.  I commented that it was weird to glimpse into a family before I was a part of it.  I had only known one family while Joel got to experience the entire family growth process in all its stages.  First he had a brother, then he had a sister.  He commented that he didn't really remember Jason's birth, but he very clearly remembered when I came home and how cool it was watching me grow up as a kid.  (insert "awe" here)

During the family/Sunday/post-wedding/Father's Day/birthday brunch, he made some mental notes.  While my brothers and I each got married in a different month and year (October 2002, November 2005 and June 2010) we all got married one week apart.  The 5th, the 12th and the 19th.  He also mentioned we all got married at the same age, although I just barely made it at 6 hours before my birthday.

But the thing I recall most from time to time was my dad.  My dad and I, like a lot of fathers and daughters, have a very special and close bond.  I know he was happy for me and my marriage, and I knew there would be emotion in him on my wedding day, but I was not prepared for how much.  And I was not prepared for him to display it.  He kept himself together well, considering.  I even told him as much.

I said "You're doing very well, you know." He replied "No, I'm not.  I'm barely keeping it together.  I had to leave the room during that damn 'I Loved Her First' song."

I knew it was going to be OK.  He knew it was going to be OK.  But we were both startled by the process of it being OK.  He literally let me go and I walked away.  It was a poignant moment that lasted all evening, culminating in his toast to us.

I discussed the toast with my SIL (Joel's wife) and while most people were paying attention to Dad, or looking at my reaction to Dad, Jennifer was looking at Joel.  Joel was looking at his daughter Shea.  He had watched me grow up, but didn't have to give me away like he would have to give her away.  For they have a special dad and daughter bond too.

I just feel lucky to experience so much love.  That's what I take away most from my wedding day was all the love in the room.  It was such a great day!  Although...I still can't figure out who requested "Gold Digger".  It was funny, yes...but really?  Honestly, I didn't mind it as much as I minded "The Chicken Dance"!  I couldn't argue too much though as it was my niece who requested it.

At least everyone had fun.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment