Friday, December 3, 2010

Other small details

I almost forgot to mention one of the best parts about my South Dakota getaway.  Being a hunting family, John's aunt and uncle have 2 (very well trained and behaved) black labs.  Being in a conservative, retired military family, they have the craziest names I can imagine for black labs.  (But, I suppose they also go with the hunting theme.)

Recon and Gitmo.

I swear I'm not making this up.

Recon is older and they think at one time in the not so distant past, she was kicked by a deer because her back legs aren't as strong as they used to be and have actually completely failed her at one time or another.  She does sit a bit weird too...like she doesn't like pressure on her low back.  So she's more of a pet now even though you even mention the word "bird" she gets so excited she starts turning circles so fast you can barely make out heads or tails of her.  At one time Cathy (cousin) offered her to us.  I'm actually surprised we don't have her now.  ("Heeeeere Recon Recon Recon!"  I can't really imagine myself saying that...but I would still take this dog as she was the sweetest pup ever.)

I even tried to adjust her as I felt 2 pretty major subluxations that could be affecting the innervation to her hind legs.  It was hard though as she didn't know what I was doing and would shy away from sustained pressure.  I also didn't bring my activator as I had no idea I would use it.  I got something to move, but it didn't fully remove the subluxation.  I hope she's at least more comfortable.

Gitmo was a puppy who was just learning to hunt 3 years ago the last time John went hunting with his family.  Now she's full grown, but still smaller than Recon.  She actually got to go with the boys hunting as she was strong and could handle all the walking.

Matt (cousin) also brought his chocolate lab puppy, 4 month old Oakley.  She was so cute, but SO very much a puppy and not completely trained.  She was also completely wearing out Gitmo.

I really can't wait until John and I are more settled and can adopt a puppy too!  This might be a while.

I'm also fired for not getting ANY pictures of these sweet dogs!

1 comment: