Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Ya'll betta recognize!!!

Last night was the FRG volunteer recognition ceremony.  We have them every once in a while to ... uh... recognize the work the volunteers of the FRG do.  As per the name of the ceremony.

Anyway.  This one was a milestone in that we were giving our former leader a (very diplomatic) send off gift for her time served as FRG leader.  It was mildly awkward.  The commander said she was the most important person to be recognized of the night for all her hard work, then went on to talk about all the awesome stuff we are doing with a new leader and how much better the club is.  This was all layered in subtlety of course.  Any one of the attendants who didn't know the background may have thought this was just a nice presentation.

But this is the Army.  And everyone knows what everyone else's business is.  Much like a small town.

Maybe I read too much into it.  But I felt just a skitch awkward.

Then, as a surprise, the steering committee got recognized as well.  That felt nice. :)
So I'm glad I went.  I wasn't going to go at first because of my total body conditioning class.  It ends at 4:45.  The ceremony was at 5:30.  It was all on post, so I could grab a quick shower and head over and made it work without being sweaty and smelly.
Ok, without being smelly.  My sweatiness is hard to control after an hour workout and then a hot shower and lots of rushing around.  It eventually subsided (thankfully) but I did have to dab my eyebrows on the drive over.

Plus, there was yummy punch and chocolate/vanilla swirl cake!  Mmmmmm, caaaaakkkkeeeee.

John is trying (and succeeding, actually) to lose weight, so he was a bit mad that I brought us each a piece of cake home.  (He elected not to go to the ceremony as there is a Commander's Conference this week here on the Arsenal.  Lots of big names here.  Lots of events.  Lots of stress for him.  He took half an Ambien last night and still didn't sleep well.)  Anyway.  He ate it and enjoyed it in spite of his initial dismay.

I knew he would.  Cake rocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment