Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Another late night and early morning

I feel good today.  I really do.

Even though yesterday John and I swore we would get to bed early to make up for our lack of rest the night before, it didn't quite work out that way.  Oh, we got to bed alright.  Then we read Harry Potter.  (We both wanted to re-read the series.  He finished the 7th book last night while I am working on the end of the 6th.)  Then we said good night and turned out the light.

Then we talked about Germany for about an hour.

And then we slept.

I'm way less scared and overwhelmed, and way WAY more excited!

I have talking to people here and every single person LOVES Germany.  It helps that the Germans love Americans.  I have heard of one spouse who hated Germany, but I think she was just so closed minded that she couldn't get over everything she missed in the States.

Everyone here is jealous because they have been to Germany and can't wait to get back.  Our friend Linda  who is an ex-spouse, but civilian worker here on the Arsenal, told me she spent 4 years in Germany, never visited the States, and was not ready to leave when it was time to PCS again.  I met a gal at the last FRG Steering Committee meeting, and yesterday (at the most recent meeting) learned she had just come from Vilseck!  It was interesting to learn because most people will PCS to bigger towns/camps in Germany.  My friend who is a chiropractor in Switzerland had not heard of the town and had to map it.

(as an aside, who cool is it that I have a chiro friend in Switzerland?  Not only a contact for the occasional adjustment, but a local contact for when we travel!  She was excited to learn I would be coming and figures she's about 4.5 hours away by car.)

Anyway, the first thing my new Vilseck contact mentioned was a fantastic wine bar that I had to try.  Nice!

In the past 24 hours, a lot of questions have been answered through advice of others, and we are feeling way more comfortable with the whole process.
Monday night was kind of tense as we were just dumbstruck by the amount of things that had to be accomplished in the next four months and because we weren't sure about so many decisions.
Since then, we have come to unofficial conclusions that
-we'll be shipping my car over there.  (NO one drives big trucks in Europe.  a) we would stick out like a sore thumb and b) we wouldn't fit down many streets as they are so narrow.  However we will blend right in with my little Volvo.)  John is going to miss his truck dearly.  He loves it.  But has come to the conclusion it probably has to be sold.  However, we may have already found a buyer....
Once we get there, we'll probably buy another car.  Or lease one.
- It has been recommended to live off post.  But in government housing, if available.  If not, there are plenty of houses that are leased by the Germans.  They get a lot out of us in their economy, and are usually glad we are there.  Mostly because we are fun too.  And the soldiers, at least, have to learn German.  I would like to learn as well.  They appreciate someone trying to speak their native language even though many speak English.  I need to start learning.
- We've gotten paperwork started and sorted for the various things we need, such as paperwork for Otis, and medical clearance for me.
- We've gotten great advice on cell phone usage out there.  Plus, we're looking into magic jack for a nice US based phone number.
- We've started research on driver's licenses and road signs.
- We're making progress on the process of getting "Command Sponsorship".  Which means, they will pay for me to go as well.
- We're making lists and mentioning places we would like to go.  Our main concern being we will be completely overwhelmed with the awesomeness that is the history and sights of Europe.

I also have another minor concern.

I have brands that I am loyal to here in the States.  Not very many, but a few.  I am thinking I have to get some basic items stocked up before we leave.  Another part of me thinks that I am just being a hoarder and that I will survive with the products in Europe.  I am thinking mainly of clothes.  As I am part Amazon.  (the other part, incidentally is German, so I should blend somewhat.)

I'm sure I have so much more to learn and more information to collect between now and then.

Exciting stuff, dude.  Exciting stuff!

4 comments:

  1. 3 words, Long Tall Sally - check it out for clothes for an amazon type person. :) I found it from google.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have just a few issues finding clothes here, and the interwebs is very helpful. However, a lot (most) online retailers won't ship to an APO address because they have discount contracts with UPS, FedEx, etc. Plus, the customs forms involved.
    SO - I am devising systems in my head. Shipping to my folks house and having them ship what I need in lump packages. But hopefully getting some good new stuff here first for the next few years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...and how come *I've* never seen this site in my google searches? I have another one bookmarked, but these styles seem more varied and my type. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girl. I've had problems finding clothes since Junior high. I would spend hours in dressing rooms because I was the tall chick. And my bff is 6'2.5" yikes!

    Anyway, hope this helps. sizing is european so it's a little different. But LOVE their clothes. LOVE. i can never find a suit that fits me...they have them and they do!! yippie!!

    ReplyDelete