Saturday, February 19, 2011

Good times

I've had a lot of good days lately.  The weather has been warmer (even up to 50 degrees!), I've been able to get (and want to stay) outside, and I've just been having some relaxing and fun times with the hubs.  

Valentine's Day was great.  I made individual beef wellingtons with balsamic roasted potatoes with steamed broccoli and carrots covered in hollandaise sauce.  It was really delish...except that I overcooked the wellies.  I was instructed to "let them rest" a bit after I pulled them out of the oven (and I had seared them before I wrapped them up too), but I let them rest on the warm baking sheet!  So I think they just cooked and cooked and cooked after they were done and ended a nice a juicy well done instead of med. rare.  Sigh.  Oh well.  It was still good and I learned a lot.
I also broke out the crystal candle sticks and the new table linens for a romantic dinner.  Yay!
Dessert was wedding cake.  (we get a freshly made layer for our one year anniversary from the bakery).  We also had red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese frosting that I had made on the previous Thursday and some Sheri's Berries that Mom and Dad had sent us.  So we basically had a dessert laden weekend leading up to Valentine's.  :)

The Friday before, Tina and I went to get pedicures.  It was so relaxing and well worth it.  At the end, my pedicurist asked me if I wanted to have an eye make up consultation for free and then I would also receive a free trial sized mascara.  So sure, why the heck not?  They were promoting Bare Minerals Make Up, which I already use, so hey, no issue here.  I selected the "smokey eye" demonstration and walked out of there with so much eye make-up, I sat in my car afterward and wiped most of it off so I wouldn't feel self conscious as I shopped in Bed Bath and Beyond, which was my next stop.  I also purchased some Mineral Veil.  I usually shop the Bare Minerals store (none here) or Ulta (also none here), so I figured I best pick some up.  With the purchase I was entered into a contest for free lip set.  

Upon going to Bed Bath and Beyond, I discover that they are putting an Ulta into my favorite strip mall area!  Woot!  Then I got a phone call the next day saying I had WON the lip set!  Woot woot!  

Now, this weekend is a four day for the hubs as it's President's Day on Monday.  So far the weekend has been full of sleeping in and naps.  We did work out yesterday so we don't feel completely sloth-like.  We also went to a hockey game last night.  It was the Quad City Mallards vs. the Bloomington (I'm guessing IL) Prairiethunder.  And the Mallards won 3-2 in OT in a very exciting game!  It was a lot of fun and we had a good, but late, dinner afterwards at our fave local joint, The Riverhouse.  (They have great homemade chips that comes with a garlic cream dipping sauce.  Num num.)  AND, I caught a t-shirt that they launch in the crowd!  I never get those!  A nice little token from the QC when we move.

Speaking of moving...

I thought that having the job list would make life a bit easier.  Or at least that I would feel better.  Um, no.  We got a list of 152 jobs that we have to rank in order of preference and they are all over the world.  John has already separated out the KD (what he needs) jobs from the non KD and joint jobs, and asked me to rank locations after that.  Then he will go through and rank the preferable jobs within those locations and preferable PCS date.  

My first choices include Washington (Seattle area), Germany, Alaska and Ft. Eustis out near VA beach, I think.  My second choices include Colorado, Hawaii, Texas (Hood, not Bliss), and the Savannah, GA area.  My "do not want" choices include Kuwait (as I would not move and be here for another year), Japan, Korea, Florida, New York, and California.  Among other places.

And now we wait.  Again.  I think Branch should have these things sorted out my mid to late March.  And then we put in plans to start the PCS process.  Maybe John will deploy again after we move.  Maybe not.  If so, I'm hoping to get at least 6 months in our new place with him.  And then I can start the job thing anew.

In the meantime, I've been meaning to post eagle pictures.  If I can learn to get them off of the new big camera.  Because it didn't come with a cable!

More later.  Off to get the pot roast out of the oven.

3 comments:

  1. Jealous that you are getting to go to some of the places I wanted to go, but we are staying at Campbell. Hopefully this proves well for me as I'm moving now. Yikes. Seriously come to Springfield sometime. Visit all the Lincoln sites. I could be your personal tour guide. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. John actually wants to head up to Springfield to research some of his ancestry! (I just now put 2 and 2 together) How long will you be there? we are thinking of doing a weekend this spring. And yes, the Lincoln sites would be cool too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The sites are great. You'd really have a great time here. I'll be here through the summer. :)

    ReplyDelete