Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Language Barrier


Our landlord speaks very little English.  We speak very little German.  This has resulted in comical conversations that look more like games of charades.  The first morning we slept in our place, he came up speak to me, and I told him we had no hot water.  He said I had to wait for it to run a little, then it would warm up.  I told him, that no, I just took a shower with it on hot and it was still cold water.  (This was a fun experience.  I recommend everyone try it and then thoroughly appreciate your hot water.)  By the end of the day, we had hot hater again. 

Even though there is a language barrier, a German phrase book has proved to be invaluable and we can still communicate quite a bit.  His brother also works in town as the handy man.  His son fixes refrigerators.  His daughter is a doctor in Amberg.  Actually, John communicates with him better than I can.  He received all of that information on a drive around town.

He is a very sweet man.  He has also provided curtains for our place!  I have so many sets of lace curtains, it’s kind of amusing.  Not to mention, a few sets of curtains that fall under the “oh dear” category.  

No comments:

Post a Comment