Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Our Place


It’s the little things that remind you that you’re no longer in the states.

Windows – Our windows rock.  They are large and clear and numerous.  And everywhere you look, Germans are putting plants in windows.  I have determined that Germans love all things green.  Anyway, our windows have handles.  If they are turned down, they are shut and locked.  If they are in the middle, they open up fully sideways, like a door.  But then you can also turn the handle upward and crack the window so it falls toward you about 4 inches.  And if they are closed, the block out lots of sound.
They rock.
The outside also has blinds.  They are raised and lowered from the inside, but the blinds are on the outside on tracks.  They are very sturdy and, if lowered completely, block out all light.
They friggin rock.

The kitchen sink – is smaller than our bathroom sink.  And, unlike most kitchen sinks I have come to know in my lifetime, this sink only has one side.  Also, no garbage disposal.

Fridge – I have mentioned before that our fridge is tiny.  Housing has provided us with a full sized fridge.

Closets – none.  None whatsoever.  We get wardrobes in a few days.  We are each allotted one and one for the household.

Oven – about the size of an easy bake oven.  We thought about getting a toaster oven, and then joked that our current oven *is* our toaster oven.  We may just need to get a regular toaster.  I’m not sure my fancy Pampered Chef baking sheets will fit in our oven.  But it does have two baking sheets that come with it.  I’m not even sure the dutch ovens I have will fit inside.  Also, the temperature is in degrees Celsius.  All of my recipes are in Fahrenheit.  I have made myself a little cheat sheet.  The range is quite tiny too, but it hasn’t been a problem so far.  Oh yeah, and no timer.  No timer on the microwave either.

Other than those things, and aside from the fact that we can’t figure out what to do for a TV package, the house is still very lovely.  The rooms are large and will be cozy soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment