Monday, August 1, 2011

The past five days

- My car showed up!  We got it on Friday and JUST in time as the office closed at noon that day.  We were literally the last people they were helping that day.  We have temporary plates for now as we still have to get an inspection and then get our real plates.  We have to plan that out as inspection lines can take a while.  Apparently this weekend is a three day weekend for people in Europe and there is a huge fest in Graf...so we're not sure if we'll be able to get it done this week.  Unless I take John to PT one morning at 5:30...and then go sit in line....  and then go get John.  Actually I might do that anyway.  I will need to get out of the house.

- I saw Harry Potter 7.2 on Friday!  It was on a tiny Army post movie theater.  The sound and video quality was terrible.  The movie still rocked!  Also, I learned something about movie theaters on post.  Before the movie, in lieu of previews, they play the national anthem, and everyone stands up.  Immediately after the anthem has played, they cut the lights and you have to fumble around and try to find your seats and sit down again without bumping the head of the person sitting next to you.

- With our new found freedom (the car), we drove to Graf, missed our rental car by 30 minutes (the Enterprise office closed early on Saturdays), did some shopping (I now have my own GPS!), drove to Amberg  and then drove to Ammerthal to make sure we could find the house again.  That evening we went to the Zur Post of a town about 3 villages away.  (Just about every village has a Zur Post.  It's a hotel/guest house with a restaurant as it was explained to me.  This particular guest house's restaurant has an excellent reputation.)  It.  was.  FANTASTIC!  We each had garlic soup to start (super yummy) and then I had Jaegersnchitzel with spaetzle and John had a pork filet dish with cheese spaetzle.  They were both so yummy and so filling.  We didn't finish our dishes, but each ordered dessert too.  And each had a beer.  Best meal here so far!

- Sunday was a lazier day, but we did drive back to Amberg and explored a bit more.  We found the hospital!  It's not a big town, but it's big enough.  We also started packing and organizing our exodus from the hotel, which finishes up tomorrow.
I have been doing the majority of the driving as it is my car, although John will be driving it a lot when we have officially moved.  I have never played such close attention to the road when driving - frantically trying to recall all the details from the driving booklet and review course.  Speed limits aren't always posted here.  They are only posted if you are supposed to go more slowly than the known speed limit for that particular area, be it within or outside of city limits, or on the autobahn.  (which I have NOT ventured onto.  yet.  There is an IKEA in Nurnberg we are meaning to visit.)  After I have gotten used to seeing the signs and being familiarized with their presence in certain areas, I have relaxed a bit.  All with experience, yes?  That said, driving in Germany is FUN.  At times, of course.

-I went for a run on Saturday as well.  I haven't ran in about 4 months.  It was really good because I had spent so much time at altitude before we moved so I felt really good.  I have been paying for this exuberance in exercise ever since.  My legs are sore.  My abs were sore (but feel better today).  My ankle is sore.  I am tired.  It was worth it, because it's all a good feeling...and a reminder that I could start running again ...  and do well.

- We saw Bridesmaids last night!  I recommend it - at least for a rental.

- Which brings us to today.

(edit:  I have no idea what I was going to say about "today".  It was our last night in the hotel and the internet crapped out and I did not save the rest of my post, which was a bit lengthy!  I was quite ticked.)

So, let's see...last Monday....  we had received loaner furniture from housing until our stuff arrived.  Our bed is a double.  Not ideal for two tall people as John and I are.  And it's not so much a mattress as the softest piece of limestone they could find.  (I'm writing this in retrospect and I STILL **HATE** our loaner bed.  This is a lesson learned for having such an awesome bed that I miss it so much.)  This bed creates so many pressure points, my spine is crying for an adjustment.
After our stuff arrived (including the full sized fridge from housing - but not the washer/dryer yet.  One of my errands whilst on post today was laundry at the laundrette.), we packed up and prepared to move homesteads.  The cat was unamused.

(I have to say, he is quite resilient.  I think he will be happier when we receive and put together the huge cat tree we purchased for him from Amazon.  At least there will be something to scratch.)

Hmm, yeah, the rest of my post is lost in memory.  Hopefully the other posts will fill in what we've been up to.

I also just remembered I could have used my little USB that I used to transfer the other blog posts to John's laptop to add some pictures.  I do have pictures.  But alas, I did not think to add them to the USB.

Sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment