Monday, September 6, 2010

My new favorite book

I picked up a two books for the trip to Aruba, as I always do.  I try to find fun books, easy books, or inspiring books.  Light books, in other words.  Nothing like the book John is currently reading called "Baghdad at Sunrise".

So I browsed Target and happened to pick up an awesome one.

"The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein.

I read the first chapter (just a few pages) on the plane down and I looked at John and said, "This book is going to make me cry."

And when I finished one afternoon while John was napping after a good morning of 2 dives.  I started with a few tears, but then John busted me.  Not sure why I suddenly cry more uncontrollably once I know I'm being watched, but it may have to do with something about not being able to control it any longer.  If I cry by myself, no one can identify the few sobs that escape and that gives me time to recover.

However, as it were, John awoke from his nap and suddenly had a sobbing girl on his chest.

Don't let that deter you though.  This book draws emotion.  It's a good thing.  It's inspiring, it's funny, even withstanding the racing analogies, which I probably would have enjoyed more had I liked racing.  It still has some good metaphors for life, for relationships, for integrity, and good examples for great love.

Did I mention it's written by a dog?

I think one of the reasons I loved it so much was the theme of distrust in western medicine that runs throughout the book.  It just has some entertaining anecdotes.

Read it.  It's quick, yet it will stay with you.  You won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment