Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Never say never

OK, I never actually thought  I'm never going to have to carry a propane tank across the Confederate Cemetery.

None the less, it was not what I thought I was going to do this morning.  However, I was a trooper and fetched the tank from our grill because we thought we didn't have enough.  We never needed it, but it was better to be prepared.  It was a situation that, rather than driving around (in the midst of construction to resurface the main road), it would be easier to just walk back to our house, fetch the propane tank, and lug it back to the grill area.  Which was behind the Confederate Cemetery.  It was heavy.  I got some exercise.

I also got some confused and amused looks from the construction workers watching me lug it across the road.  You can't see the grill area or the training lanes real well from the road.  It probably looked like I was carrying the tank *to the cemetery.  Not *through it.  Oh well.  :)

I also thought of something else military families are more prone too.  Trying to decide if the big boom you just heard was thunder or artillery.  It was dark and cloudy this morning, so I had to really think about it.  (This is an easier distinction on sunny days.)

Given the training the soldiers are doing, it was artillery.  It was much louder at the grill site, which was the gate to the training lanes.  I jumped *every single time* it was shot which gave CPT Leifker (the ASC HHC company commander) a good chuckle.

It was fun though.  And rewarding.  Seeing dirty soldiers covered in mud and mock blood (medical training) that had been out there for 6 hours come back ravenous and grateful.  Well that felt good.

1 comment: